23And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. 25For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? 26For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. 27But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God.” ~ Luke 9:23-27 (ESV)
Hello my friends, and Happy New Year! 2017 has arrived, and today we give thanks to God for seeing us through another year, and for all of the blessings that He has given to us! I pray that you have all been safe and are looking forward to 2017 with the hope that a new year can provide. Remember, though, that for those of us that follow our Lord and Savior, Jesus, He is all the Hope that we need!
In today’s scripture reading, Jesus reminds us all that we need to take up our own Cross and choose to follow Jesus each and every day. This is especially important to remember because the Devil is looking for any opportunity to separate us from Jesus, and his friends are complacency and pride. When we start to think we have everything under control, it is then that the devil starts to take control of our thoughts.
Now, please pray with me the prayer requests we have listed below. In each of these you can see an example of the kind of Cross we need to carry, but throughout it all, Jesus is there for us. We just need to remember to ask Him for help.
Prayer Requests & Praises
- Theresa has a prayer request: Posting to ask for prayers and wishes of healing for my daughter Kym who is in the hospital (she has a blood clot in her lung). Every prayer helps, thank you all!
- Lori has a prayer request: I am asking all of you for a very, very special prayer this evening for a family who is really struggling with trying to celebrate Christmas at all this year – an only child lost her mom and a husband lost his wife this year.
Only God knows how He will answer this prayer but I know He will bring His Love to these dear people. Please just reinforce my prayers!
- Shannan has a prayer request: I had a hysterectomy on December 22 and I’m still full of fluid.
- Also, Shannan has a prayer request for a friend: I feel selfish asking for prayers for myself. I’d also like to add my friend Tanya. Her mother passed away right before Christmas and the funeral was today (December 27th).
- Lori adds: My prayers will go up for all! Thank you, Mike, for managing this site! I am thankful for these “go to places” when I want to share & gather Christians in prayer!
- Prayer request for my friend Ashley: There is a 12 year old boy from China that will age out of the system next year. He is precious and my heart is overwhelmed – will you pray with me that a family will adopt him? His name is Parker.
- Please pray for my friend Lindsey. Cindy and I know Lindsey through Weight Watchers. She has had a very hard year. To summarize, she went from being on top of the world in her career to seeing her sister pass away from a brain aneurysm to seeing her family life shatter to pieces. She was hospitalized for severe depression, but is working on improving her family and personal life. Please pray for her, she is a very sweet person and my heart breaks for all she has endured.
- Jodi has some prayer requests: I have a couple requests, please. 1) My son’s job situation is still uncertain. He has filed a claim with the state for unlawful hiring practices with the Dodge dealership who hired him but never gave him a start date, then hired other people. He is still in need of employment now. 2) This sounds minor on the surface, but we have a schedule conflict, and we are not at all comfortable with the offered compromise. It is the devil’s interference with our commitment to church activities, and we need prayer guidance to resolve, as I’m not sure what to do. Thanks!
- Special praise to my friend Mary Hunter and her new husband Todd! Congratulations to you two as you start your life together, may God bless your marriage in abundant ways!
- Praises also to my brother in law Otis and his wife Nancy on 30 years of marriage yesterday! Also praises to my brother in law Jerry and his wife Ann on 30 years of marriage in November!
Now, please pray with me the prayer that Jesus taught us to pray:
Our Father, who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will be done
On Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those that trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the Kingdom, and Power, and Glory
Forever and ever. Amen.