8Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. ~ 1 Peter 5:8-9 (NIV)
This week was a difficult one for many of the family of God. Satan is on the prowl, as 1 Peter tells us, and he is looking for any of the children of God to attack, to add doubt to their minds, to get them turned away from the living Truth that is Jesus Christ.
Satan is using anything that he can to disrupt our thoughts away from God. The upcoming election; friendships gone sour; finances; jobs; work stresses; even other Christians; family. Anything and everything is fair game to the devil, and he knows that his only chance is to draw as many of us away from God as he can.
At times such as this, the biggest and best defense we have against the evil one is to turn our attention to God. Pray to Him, tell Satan to get behind you in the name of Jesus, and the devil will have no option but to do just that. Best of all, by turning your attention to God, you are drawing close to Him, and He will protect you.
If you don’t have any trials going on in your life right now, get ready — the trials and tribulations of this world are right around the corner for those of us that are Christians. In fact, those trials and tribulations that Satan tries to use to get our minds off of God — well, that’s just more proof that we are one of God’s adopted children, and that He is our Lord and Savior. Last of all, remember the words of our Lord, Jesus, as found in the gospel of John:
33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” ~ John 16:33 (NIV)
Now, on the strength of that promise, please join me in praying with those that need our prayers.
Prayer Requests and Praises
- My friend Bettie has a heartbreaking prayer request. Please pray for God’s Peace, Comfort, Strength, and Love to surround this poor family: A woman who I taught with years ago died in her sleep this week. Her twins were due to be born later this week. The baby girl and boy died also. Please pray for the Moore family especially for her husband Levi who lost his whole family the week that was supposed to be the happiest in his life. So sad!
- My friend Angela asks for unspecified prayers: Prayers prayers prayers..
- My friend Amanda has prayer requests: One of my childhood friends passed away this week and another friend was in an accident where the other driver passed away. Please pray for them.and of course for our country and the upcoming elections.
- My friend Sherry has a prayer request: Sad News for FCC Butner. John Griffin, plumber at the FMC died of a heart attack tonight. The Facilities Departments are sadden by such a loss of one of their own. Please keep his wife Wendy, son Connor, and his entire family in your prayers. Not a call you want to receive ever.
- Please pray for Glenn and his wife Joyce. Joyce is battling brain cancer and has had a setback. Please pray for God’s Healing Touch on Joyce, and for His Peace, Comfort, and Strength to surround them all.
- My friend Bob has some prayer requests: My cousin, Brian, for the sudden loss of his girlfriend, Izzy. Please pray for him, his family, and her family. My coworker, Shanelle, whose father has recently been diagnosed with cancer. His name is Wendell.
- Prayers please for my friend Bridget. Here is what she wrote: Requesting prayers for my family, please. Any and all will be appreciated. Our family suffered a terrible loss this past weekend. RIP Austin.
- My daughter learned a very valuable lesson this past week about who her friends really are. Please keep her in your prayers and give thanks to God for all of the true friends that she has that have supported her through thick and thin.
- Lastly, an update on my friend Amanda’s husband Daniel and additional prayer requests: I am sorry for the delayed update. Cate is involved in a young entrepreneur experiment, the event was Saturday so it was all hands on deck for inventory production! Daniel’s scan was deemed mixed results to therapy by the radiologist reading it. Here’s the details: No new tumors; the tumors on his lungs have grown but were not active; the tumor on his liver did not grow or shrink but was less active than last scan. The oncologist was “happy” with the scan in that it doesn’t show disease progression but we aren’t really making much progress towards remission. The infusion nurses were happy and thought there was a slight chance the tumors in the were bigger because they were necrotic. That would awesome if it is true! The other piece to consider is the past several months Daniel’s platelets have been too low to follow the every 2 weeks chemo regimen so we have been having chemo every 3 weeks most of the time. Normally, these scan results would mean to continue on current therapy regimen but because of the delays, we may need to change it up. One of my prayers has been answered in there is a new chemo regimen for colon cancer treatment. This isn’t a next line used when the current treatment isn’t working. This is a new chemo for first line treatment. That’s huge because it means we still have the second and third lines of treatment if/when we need them. We will talk to the oncologist about this new line when we get back from our trip on Cate’s fall break. We will scan again in 3 months.
So for this update, our prayer requests are that we continue to stay the same or get better, the new chemo is effective and easier on Daniel, that Daniel begin to feel better and recover from chemo faster, and a special one for Cate as she’s been struggling with the cancer thing a little more these days. I think it’s the stress of the start of school that is making it harder to deal with. Also a prayer of thanks for the “not bad” scan results, for our clinicians and researchers, for the new treatments being found every day and for each of you. We also had a friend that was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer from a rash he had. He went through one chemo session and passed away. He leaves a family behind that did not have the same grace and blessing God has provided us. Please pray for his family.
So all in all, we are hanging in there and almost status quo. Thank you for your continued prayers and support! And thank you for sending us your special prayer requests so we can do the same for you. Please keep them coming! Have a safe and happy fall, everyone!
Now, please join us in praying the prayer that Jesus taught us to pray:
Our Father, who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will be done
On Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those that trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the Kingdom, and Power, and Glory
Forever and ever. Amen.