Hello my friends, and welcome to this week’s Prayers for the Week post. Until now, I’ve been deliberate in avoiding for the most part the discussion of politics in our prayer posts, but now, with the election being less than a month away, I want to share a few things for us all to consider. It’s not my place to tell you who to vote for, nor will I do so here. Instead, what I hope to convey to you is what we should expect from our leaders.
Today, I’m drawn to the book of James. Read along the Word of God with me:
13Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. 14But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. 15This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. 17But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. 18And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. ~ James 3:13-18 (ESV)
My friends, the unfortunate situation I see with those that we have to choose for our leaders is that they all seem to illustrate verses 15 and 16 perfectly. With very few exceptions, the majority of those that choose to lead us are about as far from Godly people as you can get. I know that you can not know entirely where a person’s heart is — but what I do know is that when a person has Christ in their heart, their outward appearance, their demeanor, the way they carry themselves, is entirely different from one that doesn’t know Christ.
We often talk about how God will take something bad, and turn it into something good for the Glory of God. I see examples of that almost every day. So, in this political season, where we have seen examples time and time again of candidates that are rude, arrogant, dishonest, lying. I could go on and on. My belief in this atmosphere of hate, vitriol, anger, and so forth, is that what will happen is that more men and women that are Christ-centered will start running for office. What I would love to see is a person running for office who, upon starting a press conference, debate, or some other public appearance, say “Hi, my name is John Doe, and I am a sinner. I am not perfect, but I am forgiven by God. I do not have all the answers, but what I do have is the Faith in knowing that with God’s help, we will be okay.”
Well, I don’t know what will happen, I don’t know if the country will be better off regardless of who wins the presidential election. Only God knows that. However, I do believe that this country has mostly turned its back on God, and He is doing the same to us as a result. Now, please join with me in our prayer requests and praises:
Prayer Requests and Praises
- My friend Maureen starts us off, here are her requests: Couple things Mike Ellis.. or a few.. lol… One.. giving thanks for a few things- 1) for friends like you who take the time to gather everyone together in prayer. 2) For God allowing my Father to stay here with us – he had a very bad Diabetic episode and we thought we were losing him 3) For God’s mercy, grace, peace, Love, patience that has renewed me- may I stayed focused on him. Thank you as always Mike Ellis!
- Maria has prayer requests: Same for me as usual health and finances.
- My friend Amy has a prayer request: Eastern NC. It’s so hard to watch our former town flood.
- My cousin Barb has a prayer request: Although I do not know them, I’d like to pray for the Pascal family, who just lost their 19 year old daughter. Suicide is NOT the answer
- Praises for those that turned out for Edenton Street UMC’s annual Great Day of Service. We had a good turnout, and many organizations were blessed. To those that volunteered, we were blessed as a result also. For my wife and I, we helped out in packaging meals for Stop Hunger Now. We helped package 35,000 meals in 3 hours!
- Prayers for my friend Sheila and her family. Their dog Caesar is very sick, and they are having to stare the consequences of that in the face. Please pray for Caesar to get better, and for them to have God’s Peace, Comfort, Strength, and Love to surround them in the event they do have to make a decision that they do not want to make yet.
- My friend Katherine has a prayer request: Unplanned trip to Blowing Rock – not for fun this time. Taking care of some parent health problems. Prayers welcome!
- As always, we also pray for those that are afraid to share their requests, and we pray for those that aren’t sure what to pray or how to pray, or what to ask for in prayer.
Now, please join me in praying the prayer that Jesus taught us to pray:
Our Father, who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will be done
On Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those that trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the Kingdom, and Power, and Glory
Forever and ever. Amen.