5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart,and do not lean on your own understanding.6 In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.7 Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.8 It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones.9 Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce;10 then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting with wine. ~ Proverbs 3:5-10 (ESV)
My friends, we have a lot of prayer requests this week, so for today’s Prayers for the Week post, I’m leaning on just one of my favorite nuggets of wisdom from the book of Proverbs. Some would say that this may be a forerunner towards the Prosperity Gospel that some ministers preach, but I don’t think so — I think that this is simply putting God first in your life, and setting yourself on Him so that He will take care of you. What do you think of these verses? Please let me know in the comments, and in the meantime, please pray with us on this week’s prayer requests:
Prayer Requests and Praises
- My friend Julie has a prayer request: I’m flying from San Diego to Orlando on Wed, just me and the baby. I’d love prayers for safe travels and good health.
- My friend Sandra has a prayer request: It worked so wonderfully before. The Davis family once again needs all of your prayers for two of our aunts both diagnosed with cancer over the last week. We also lost an uncle last week.Please pray that test results come back with good prognosis. Thank you for the continued love and support from all our family and friends.
- My friend Vickie has a prayer request: To all those who have been praying for my cousin, Duncan Wallace, thank you. He passed away about an hour ago, quickly and peaceful.
- My friend Tim and his wife lost their cat Trixie recently. Please pray for them in their loss. Here is what Tim wrote: Somber day at the Beamer home today, we both miss our cat Trixie…
- My friends in Master Control and the TOC areas of UNC-TV are facing the same situation that I was a year ago; the realization that their jobs are being eliminated and replaced with an outsource situation. For those friends that I’ve known for years, my prayers go out to them. To those in senior management at UNC-TV who are making these horrific decisions, I pray that they realize the consequences of their actions — that it’s not the station that is impacted, it’s the livelihood of so many people who have given years of service to the mission of UNC-TV, only to see their employer turn their backs on them. Please join me in praying for my friends that are losing their jobs, and also for those that are still employed there, that they would not be faced with such circumstances too.
- A beautiful prayer request from my brother-in-Christ Bob: Today is International Day of Peace and there is violence and unrest in my city. This is not the city I grew up in. This is not the world I want my children to grow up in. Please take a moment to pray tonight. Pray for eyes to be opened and the love of Christ to be shared. Pray for an end to violence and hate.
Lord, we need You. For only You can bring peace to our broken world. You are our Redeemer. You are our Strong Tower. May Your mercy and strength never leave us. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Be the light in the darkness. Look for the light each day. Do what you can to spread love in the world.
- My friend Amanda has a prayer request: Mike, you are such an amazing person and I thank you! We have a friend who just found out their son’s voice box is paralyzed meaning he will be on a feeding tube a trach for the rest of his life. Please pray for God to send them guidance and peace. They haven’t lost their faith and know this is part of God’s plan.
- Amanda, a close friend the other day was talking about a friend of his that suffered from such a debilitating disease that his whole life the doctors where telling him and his family that “he probably wouldn’t survive _____” (fill in the blank with a time frame). Well, that friend not only survived, has two incredible children, but recently celebrated his 50th birthday — and is the most incredible testimony my friend has ever been a witness to. The prayer is that God will use your friend’s son in just such a way for as long as He wants him to, and that your friend’s son would be as big an inspiration to others across the world.
- My friend Tabitha has a prayer request: I am asking my praying friends to remember a special client of mine that has become a friend to me – she had planned a Disney trip for this year with her parents and had to be postponed due to her dad finding out he has cancer. They re-scheduled and her dad is undergoing chemo but things have taken a turn and she is on her way to probably say goodbye. Please pray her family makes it in time to say goodbye (they leave today), safe travels and if God so chooses, a miracle that her family takes an immediate turn for improvement. My heart is breaking for them!
- My friend Angie has a praise to share: 20 years ago today my dad received a liver transplant! I am ever so thankful for his donor and their family! Without their unselfish act my family’s lives would be so different! I love my daddy! Be an organ donor!
- My friends Julie and Jason have a praise regarding their children: So the boys were talking about Greek God’s….Joshua was explaining to Jackson that they didn’t believe in God. Jackson was like is anyone going to talk to them about him? Then he proceeds to say he will do it because everyone needs to know about God and Jesus.
- Lastly, my friend Diane’s Mama is now in Hospice care. She is strong in her faith, and is looking forward to being reunited with her husband. Please pray for God’s Peace, Comfort, Strength, and Love to pour down on Diane, her Mama, all of their family, and all of their friends in their time of sorrow.
Now, please pray with me the prayer that Jesus taught us to pray:
Our Father, who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will be done
On Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those that trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the Kingdom, and Power, and Glory
Forever and ever. Amen.