Happy Anniversary to Mr. & Mrs. Millwood! Yesterday we had the honor of celebrating their 60th Wedding Anniversary of my friend Monica’s Daddy and Momma. It was a glorious day, full of love, a few tears, and lots of hugs and laughter. The overriding theme that we came away with was that, in our opinion, no married couple will last 60 years without having Christ lead them in their lives. It is an honor to know them, and to call them friends. This is what I wrote yesterday after the party:
I do have a big praise today to share with you! Today (Saturday, September 28), a big group of family and friends came out to celebrate the 60th Wedding Anniversary of Ervin and Lois Millwood, the wonderful parents of my Sister-in-Christ Monica. Mr. & Mrs. Millwood are salt of the earth people, people that would absolutely give you the shirt off their back, people that don’t lecture, they teach, people that, no matter what, you know you will always get a warm smile, a hug, and a handshake. Ervin and Lois remind me in so many ways of MY Grandpa and Grandma — and I can think of no higher praise than that — except for this. Lois and Ervin Millwood are Christians, they are saved, they KNOW Jesus — and Jesus knows them.
It was a wonderful day celebrating their life together, one that we look forward to seeing day and day again for many more years to come.
Prayer Requests and Praises
- Chelsea starts us off here today. Here is what she wrote and her update that follows:Praying for all these request! Praising our Lord for all the praises! If I could ask a prayer for my cousin she might have torn her meniscus and she can’t walk…She has less than 4 weeks till she is supposed to get married. Thanks!
Mike you are amazing and I really appreciate the prayers for my cousin! She has her MRI yesterday and should get the results over the next few days..I’m praying for Kourtney, Frances, and Becca is one of my friends as well I will be continuing my prayers for her family. God Bless them and You!
- Next is my friend Kourtney’s request. Here is what she wrote on Facebook:
I never ask for thoughts and prayers, but we need them today! Please send my family as many as you can.Lord, please be with Kourtney and her family today as they battle the demons they face today. Please grant them Your Peace and comfort and strength in the days ahead. It is in the name of Your Son Jesus that we pray with thanksgiving. Amen.
She told us later that her nephew needed heart surgery, just days after being born. He has had his first surgery, and will likely need more, but we’ll take it one day at a time!
- Please pray for my friend Frances as well. Here is what she posted on Facebook:I cautiously opened a can of whoop a$$ on the facility that my Aunt is in. Please pray for her and my family as we gather the resources that we need to get her home within the next month.Lord, please be with your servant Frances and she and her family work towards getting her Aunt out of the facility that she is in. Please take care of them all so that her Aunt can be in a more loving environment, and so that she can face her remaining years surrounded with the love that You and her family provide. It is in the name of Your Son Jesus that we pray with thanksgiving. Amen.
- A powerful word on the faith that my friend Becca and her family have. Here is what she wrote on Facebook earlier:Today I am grateful for my testimony of our Heavenly Father’s plan for us. While death may be the end of our time together on this earth, we can be with our families forever. Mike’s family could use prayers for comfort and peace at this time. His uncle is expected to return to our Father in the next few days. We know we will see him again, but this us still a very hard time for his family.UPDATE: We learned that Walter, the uncle referenced by Becca, passed away shortly after her statement. Please surround Becca’s family with love and prayers, please pray for God’s Peace, Comfort, and Strength to descend on them in their days of grief. The comfort that they take in knowing that Walter is now with Jesus is wonderful, but the grief and sadness they feel without him there is still hard on them. Thank you everyone for your prayers for Becca and her family.
- Please pray for my friend Jennifer and her family as they deal with the loss of their Granny. Here is what Jennifer wrote — it’s beautiful in the memories that she invokes and you feel as if you were right there with Jennifer as you read her memories:We lost my sweet Granny last night, and the world lost one of the strongest, most beautiful people.
One of my first memories is of laying my head in her lap while she ran one hand through my hair and I rubbed her other hand; I was always amazed at how soft her skin was, and she was amazed I thought so after she had worked every minute of every day for her entire life with those hands.
She fed me the best food, took care of me (especially in those first three years before my Dad came into the picture), slept next to me on the pull-out sofa for slumber parties, taught me how to sew a button and make jello, and joked with me about our funny Southern accents (I LOVED that she said “flyers” for “flowers” and tried to work that into my own speech).
She raised four children in a tiny house, one with special needs who was with her until he passed away not long ago. Without Uncle Terry and Pappaw around, her soul has been restless. I pray that she is with them now, peacefully cooking some delicious cornbread and planting some “flyers” in the garden.
I love you, Granny.Jennifer, may God grant you His Peace, Comfort, and Strength to you and your family so that you may feel His love surround you all in your time of need. He is there for you, and you know this, so take a moment when you need and tell Him what you need.
- Colleen has a prayer request. Here is what she wrote:If I could have all Disney Fans Please send Prayers to me and my Family Our Gas was cut and we are trying our hardest to try and get it restored but it looks like it might take a few weeks to come up with the amount owed .So we untill then will be without hot water . Thanks Blessings to all.
- Lastly, please continue to pray for Cindy’s Uncle Bob. Here is the latest we information we have:
Please continue the prayers for Uncle Bob…we got some very distressing news today, and we are worried about how much more time we might have with him. Please pray for Cindy, all of her family, for his wife Clara, for Bob himself, for his kids, and everyone else that knows and loves him. He is a wonderful man, and I have been blessed to have gotten to know him. I have so many fond memories, he won’t ever be gone from our hearts, but his presence will definitely be missed.Thank you for your prayers for healing, and for your prayers for comfort, strength, and peace for all of the family.
- A second praise I have today — Cindy’s Uncle Ted has started his treatment for his cancer, and is doing well with it. I’m somewhat afraid, I’ll admit, about what turn his health may take when he hears about his brother Bob, but our prayers continue to go out to him to make sure the Lord hears us and lifts up Uncle Ted, Aunt Connie, and all of the rest of their family and friends at this time. Thank you for praying for him, please keep them coming!
- Also praise goes out to our friends Jennifer, her husband Grant, and their kids for coming up to our church to start attending services with us!
My friends, the truths that we were reminded of yesterday are applicable every day. Mr. & Mrs. Millwood showed us how to love, and how to be strong in Christ. They have been blessed with longevity, but that isn’t always the case. Remember that every day is a gift, every day we have the opportunity to tell those we love that we love them, and that we should never forget that. Be in the Lord, and please, please, remember to love one another, as Christ loves us. May God keep you and Bless You, today and every day. Amen.